Chocolate Avocado Pie
This chocolate pie is a pie you won’t have to feel guilty about eating. It’s low in sugar and filled with super foods that support neurological health. The high fat content from the avocado, nuts, and coconut oil also makes this treat very satiating so you will feel satisfied after one piece unlike deserts that are high in carbohydrates and sugar which are easier to overeat because they don’t make us feel as full or as satisfied.
Healthy Fats Support Brain Health and Improve Cognition in Alzheimer’s Patients
Don’t be afraid of the high fat content! Saturated fat (fat that is solid at room temperature) has been demonized in our culture for the last 60 years because of the belief that it causes heart disease and a diet higher in carbohydrates has been recommended. Yet our rates of heart disease have continued to increase. Other diseases, especially degenerative diseases of the brain such as Alzheimer’s and dementia are also increasing at an alarming rate. Some researchers and doctors actually believe that the “low fat” diet craze may actually have contributed to this increase. Glucose is the brains main source of energy in healthy individuals but in the Alzheimer’s brain there seems to be a problem with the brains ability to use glucose, sort of like diabetes in the brain, which may be related to insulin sensitivity caused by high sugar and carbohydrate consumption. But the brain has an alternative source of energy that it can use called ketones. We can increase our levels of ketone bodies by consuming medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) like those found in coconut oil. Some studies have shown an improvement in cognitive function in Alzheimer’s patients after consumption of MCT’s like those found in coconut oil.
The polyunsaturated fat in both the avocados and nuts in this recipe as well as the high antioxidant content in the raw cocoa are all very beneficial for cardiovascular health. The raw cocoa is also very beneficial for cognitive health which is another reason why this recipe is an amazing brain health recipe!
Not all fats are created equal though. Here is a list of some healthy fats that are important to include in your diet, not just for cognitive health but for proper hormone production, blood sugar regulation, and maintaining healthy body weight.
Foods That Contain Healthy Fats:
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Wild Fish
- Nuts and Seeds
- Grass Fed Meat
- Free Range Poultry
- Nuts and Seeds
Chocolate Avocado Pie Recipe:
- 1 cup nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts or combination)
- ¼ tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 cup dates (If you buy the dates pitted you will need to soak them first to soften them up, if you buy dates that have the pits in them then they will be soft)
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 4 large avocados
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw cocoa
- ¼ cup maple syrup or raw honey
- Put nuts into food processor and chop them into a rough crumb texture
- Add cocoa, coconut, coconut oil, and sea salt and pulse until well combined
- Press the nut and date mixture into an even layer in a glass or ceramic 8×8 pan and put in the fridge to set while you make the filling
- Combine the avocados, lemon juice, cocoa, coconut oil, and maple syrup in the food processor until combined and smooth in texture
- Spread the filling into crust and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to serving
Garnish with fruit or berries of your choice and Enjoy! Pie is best enjoyed within 2 days of making, leftovers can be frozen.
If you or someone you know has either a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or a family history and would like to learn more about prevention and management using nutrition and lifestyle approaches I encourage you to book an appointment with myself and or one of the Naturopathic Doctors at Local Health.
Local Health’s Holistic Nutritionist