Dairy Free Chai Latte
I’ve got a rich and delicious chai latte recipe for you this week. This recipe includes an egg which I love because it makes it more frothy and if you’re not much of a breakfast person (like me) or prefer to start off your day with warm liquids this is a perfect option which provides some protein and a good amount of fat to sustain you until you’re ready for food. The egg is added raw, but since the chai is hot it will be gently poached as you blend it. If you’re sensitive to eggs you can just leave it out and the chai will still be rich and frothy from the coconut milk.
If you’re sensitive to caffeine you can try using rooibos chai or any blend of chai spices without black tea. I like the combo of cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, and clove for a caffeine free version.
Chai Latte Recipe (dairy free)
- 2 tsp dried chai tea blend
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp black peppercorns for extra spiciness, optional
- sprinkle of cinnamon for garnish, optional
- Put chai tea, coconut milk, and water into small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. I like a spicy chai so I always add about ½ tsp of black peppercorns at this stage as well.
- Turn off heat, stir in honey and pour hot liquid through strainer and into a blender.
- Add the egg before blending on high for 30-60 seconds until frothy
- Serve hot and sprinkle on some cinnamon if desired.
Just a caution before you make this one at home-don’t put steaming hot liquid into a blender that has an airtight seal like a magic bullet. I learned from experience that this can result in a scary chai explosion in your kitchen.You can also use a handheld immersion blender to create the frothiness.
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Local Health’s Holistic Nutritionist