Healthy, Vegan Baked Pierogies
By Kelsey Ellis, RHN
Looking for a healthy, holiday appetizers that adds a bit more “bite”than your typical veggie tray? These pierogies are easy to make and are a healthier alternative to traditional pierogis which are fried in butter and stuffed with cheese!
Ingredients (makes approx. 12-15 pierogies)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 large potatoes
3 tbsps of nutritional yeast
1/2 cup of finely diced onions
Freshly ground pepper
1 tsp of olive oil (for frying onions)
Green onions, vegan sour cream or extra nutritional yeast for more cheesy flavour!
- (DOUGH) In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, hot water, and olive oil and sea salt together. It may need a bit more water but it is very important to add the water in gradually (tablespoon by tablespoon) until you achieve the correct consistency dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface with your hands until smooth. Cover dough with bowl and let rest for 30 minutes under a clean kitchen towel so that the dough doesn’t dry up
- (FILLING) While dough is resting, heat up 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan. Fry finely diced onions on medium-high until lightly caramelised.
- Boil potatoes in their skins until soft. Drain and rinse. Add nutritional yeast and ground pepper and sea salt. Add in caramelised onions and then fold/mash this mixture together combining well.
- Roll out dough about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 3-inch squares. Fill each square of dough with one teaspoon of potato and onion filling. Fold in half and pinch ends together to seal. Drop in hot boiling water and simmer for 6-8 minutes (depending how thick your dough is.)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. After 6-8 minutes, drain pierogies and pat them dry. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and baked until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh chopped green onions, vegan sour cream or extra nutritional yeast and enjoy.
Kelsey Ellis is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, they offer appointments at Local Health Integrative Clinic on Mondays & Wednesdays Click here to book an appointment with Kelsey.