Coconut Chickpea Curry
by Bianca Baker, Registered Holistic Nutritionist
- 1 cup – Quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups – Water
- 1 tbsp – Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup – Red Onion (finely diced)
- 3 – Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 tbsp – Ginger (peeled and grated)
- 2 cups – Broccoli (chopped into small florets)
- 1 cup – Coleslaw Mix
- 1 – Red Bell Pepper (de-seeded and sliced)
- 1 1/2 tbsps – Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp – Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 cups – Canned Coconut Milk
- 1 cup – Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups – Chickpeas (cooked, drained and rinsed)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Cook your quinoa by combining quinoa and water in a sauce pan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, broccoli, slaw mix and red pepper. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Saute for 5 minutes or until veggies are slightly softened. Then stir in curry powder, red pepper flakes, coconut milk, vegetable broth and chickpeas. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve over quinoa and garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts if you wish. Enjoy!
- Meat Lover – Add in cooked diced chicken or beef.
Bianca Baker is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and offers appointments at Local Health Integrative Clinic Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Click here to book an appointment with Bianca.